Create Portable Windows Live Writer

I personally love Windows Live Writer as blogging tool and I think it’s the best desktop blogging tool around us. In fact I don’t know any other free but yet high quality professional blogging tool other than Windows Live Writer. The good thing is, someone can use it to learn basic HTML too.

Anyway, the only problem I face often is, I need to install it in every PC where I want to use that until I found a portable option today. I often need Windows Live Writer for those article which ask table as it give me easiest way to manage those, so having a portable Windows Live Writer is always a best option. You can use it in cyber cafe, can use it in a PC where you don’t have an administrative permission and may be you know another way to use a portable app. The opportunity is endless.

So, how to get a portable version of Windows Live Writer:

1. Download Windows Live Writer Portable Version 3 and extract it in your USB drive[need a free extracting tool, use 7zip]

2. Install Windows Live Writer in you PC if you don’t have it yet.[download live writer]

3. Copy all files from under “C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer” to “WindowsLiveWriterPortable\App\WindowsLiveWriter“.

windows live writer

Now whenever you want to run live writer from USB, run WindowsLiveWriterPortable.exe located on USB and it then will take care of the necessary registry settings and document paths and let you run Windows Live Writer in a portable environment.

The only issue is, the system must have .Net framework (Ver 3.0) installed where you want to use Windows Live Writer Portable.

The system is successfully tested on Windows XP, Windows VISTA and Windows 7 environment.